Friday, November 7, 2008

Zap! Zing! Jellyfish!

11-7-08
9:30am, Opening Circle: Sang "Buenos Dias". Said the Pledge of Allegiance. Went over J words and reviewed Monday's and Wednesday's words of the day. Talked about being a journalist. Then we made Newspapers. I used the One Paper Book folding method that my sister Julia gave me. They started writing an article in it right away. Both Darius and Lorien drew lines and started writing "words". I taught them how to write "News" for Newspaper. We talked about it meaning North, South, East and West, like the compass they made.

9:50am, Reading and Writing: They wrote in their journals, and both decided to draw pictures of Jellyfish. They also did a great job sounding out and writing the following words: jog, jolt, joy, jump, jut, just. As always they were very eager to write the words as fast as possible. Their handwriting is improving every time we do this project.

10:00am, Free Craft/Science: So I had a craft for them to do. I had printed out pictures of Jellyfish. We talked about how big they can be. From one inch to 200 ft! It was amazing, Lorien and Darius were enraptured by the pics and the info I found. They learned that the tenticals can be very dangerous and if you get stung by the Sea Nettle, you could die! So we made our own jellyfish! Lorien and darius tried to make a cirlce out of a square piece of paper. Then they tried to punch holes in the cardstock. I helped them a lot. Then they had to tie yarn in the wholes. That was hard. Farah tried to take over Darius' project, but I wouldn't let her! So I think they both learned how to tie a knot. I helped a lot with that too. They had a lot of fun lacing the yarn through the holes. But be carefull! Those tenticles sting!


10:30am, Snack: Wash hands, eat, get ready to go to the library. . .

11:00am, Library: Barnyard was the theme today. Darius wanted to hold one of the puppet animals, Lorien got to hold the horse? I think. After story time, they rushed to find their most favorite books! Darius finally got his Pokemon book and Lorien asked for The Princess Primer book. They behaved so well today!

No comments: